Quilt Storage

I've been looking for some time for a small vintage type cabinet with glass doors to store some smaller quilts. Finally found one on Facebook marketplace. I tried to bleach the wood after I got the existing finish sanded off. That didn't work too well. Later I read that cherry wood doesn't bleach well. I ended up using Waterlox on it. It is a finishing solution made mostly of tongue oil. It brings out the natural coloring of the wood. I painted the interior and even after six coats of chalk paint, it still looked like it could use another coat. By this time, I was done, and was about out of paint. So, I put some polycrylic on it, and put it back together. The good thing is, I can still go back and put more chalk paint on it at some point, if I decide to do that.


Here's the before. It wasn't a bad looking piece. The finish was just a bit too orangey for what I wanted.


The wood has a lot of nice variation.


Little did I know, that there is definitely a right and wrong way to put on hinges. It took me three times to get them on correctly.


It was a lot of hot, tiring work, for not a big difference. Remind me to do these kind of projects in the spring, fall, or even winter. Not in the hottest part of summer in a 92 degree garage. I am really happy with how it turned out. It is just what I was looking for.

Archive
Recent Posts